How To Prepare Your Garden Bed
You just made the decision to turn a piece of your landscaped yard into a vegetable garden bed. Most likely it has grass on it or at least weeds, which need to be cleared before anything can be planted.
Remove the existing grass and weeds completely, either by hand or with garden tools. Then follow these steps:
• Add to your garden bed nutrient rich soil.
• Add organic compost to fertilize the soil.
• Mix the compost and soil together. Use a shovel, a gardening spade or your hands.
• Water the soil until moist, but not flooded or muddy, once the sun has gone down.
• Plant your vegetable seeds or seedlings the next morning.
Don’t wait until the soil grows hard and dry again as it makes the task of planting.
To sign up for a field trip, or to host a class on the Farm, or to request a staff to visit your school, please submit your form and request more information.